[dropcap1]T[/dropcap1]he Colombian people are getting ready to go to the polls on May 25 to elect a new leader for the country. The incumbent President Juan Manuel Santos is seeking re-election in a race against five candidates, all aspiring to the most powerful office in the land and discussing issues such as education, corruption, environment, and as always, the peace accords.
We as CPT Colombia, hope the next president fulfills her/his promise and works for the Colombian people. According to our work, the requests of our partners, and communities we accompany we have created a list of questions that we would like to ask the next president, to highlight some of our concerns and key issues for Colombia today.
3. What guarantees of no repetition can you give in regards to paramilitary commanders being released from prison?
4. How will you combat impunity enjoyed by the Police and Military for crimes committed against grassroots processes?
5. What guarantees can you provide conscientious objectors of obligatory military service?
6. What steps will you take to address the environmental crisis in the country?
7. Will you approve the law that condemns femicide after the increased acid attacks against women?
8. How will you ensure that the laws protecting the rights of the LGBT community are upheld?
9. If you are president, will you comply with the signed agreements with the farmers and miners?
10. Will you respect the right of the land to be used in sustainable manner that benefits the Colombian people rather than multinational corporations?